Unit x
Research
Within this project, I have widened my research resources to
look closer to what I am as an individual artist. I am an artist, which uses many
experiments to create pieces. I have undertaken research and identified
artists, who work within the same manner as me, such as Robert Morris. My
research entailed looking for everyday materials and look to see how other
artists use space and sculptures to finalise their own artwork.
Evidence from research proves much more, however the
research is only used to create an influence to my project, as I do not want to
imitate other artists. This is because I
like to use my own innovative to create ideas for my project. During the
research, I investigated towards how to manipulate materials and look for
inspiration. Some of the research I identified relates to the materials I used.
Materials is the key concept towards my research, because I always
use the everyday material and manipulate the materials in many challenging
ways. Throughout the research for this project, I discovered that my practice
is all about construction and deconstruction of the transformation of everyday
materials. My aim for this project is to create a sculpture, which captures the
statement of transformation. The topic of transformation research, took detail
of my surrounding areas because everyday life influences my practice.
When I was researching about different contexts towards my work,
I discovered that most of the contexts comes from what influences me, which elaborates
meaning towards my work. Investigating about my surroundings in this project,
allowed me to find some interesting facts about the Manchester School of Art. I
took influence from the building to choose the colour grey for my sculpture,
because I wanted to give back to the art school. With my deconstruction piece,
I found that the reason why the school of arts chose concrete as the raw
concept for the building is to create the sense of a factory. The concrete is
treated with different surface finishes. Taking more consideration about how
the building is set and why the concrete is so raw. I found evidence that rough
is used in the back stairwells giving a sense of rawness and factory aesthetic.
This evidence gives my work a concept of why I have chosen
to keep my sculpture to a simplistic look with the grey matching the concreate.
Researching and developing my practice has given me focus towards my practice.
When I was doing the exhibition for the textiles in process
I had a understand how to use scale and space with my work. I researched many
different artists, which use space to influence their work, however using and
developing my work in a space seemed more complicated than what I thought. I
had to research and get an understanding of how I wanted my art piece to look
in the space. When I first pitched for the space, I had some hard decisions to
make because I was not allowed to pin into the concrete. I had to do some
research into how I could still create my piece without upsetting the
surroundings. I took more detail in to
shapes and spaces in which I could create my own standing sculpture. I
researched and found that some artists were using many geometric shapes, though
I wanted my piece to stay minimalistic. I chose to keep a simple shape because
of the process I was using with the unthreaded ribbon. With my chosen space, I
was happy with the outcome of my piece for the textiles in process exhibition,
as the colours I had chosen stood out and creates the statement. With doing the
research of the building, it helped me as an artist to understand how to relate
back to my work.
No comments:
Post a Comment