Development
For my development I have carried on from a pass project
because I felt that I could push this piece a lot more. I started to
investigate more into other materials of how I could develop the use of
deconstruction and reconstruction of ribbon. However throughout this unit I
started to manipulate and change the process of other materials, such as much
larger fabric, string, washing line, ribbon which was unthreaded and much more.
The techniques I carried out in my experiments were hair pinning, omion stitch
and the manipulation of scoobies. I wanted to investigate more in to how other
materials would react to different processes.
With doing all these different experiments, I found evidence
in what materials work best with what process. All the materials I have chosen
relate back to my research and inspiration of the fluorescent colours.
Developing all my samples, allowed me to carry on with what works best and in
this case I found that the construction and deconstruction worked best with the
ribbon. I tested different widths of the ribbon to see what effect this would
have in my artwork.
As an artist I found that developing my work has gave me
more of an understanding into how I relate to materials and processes. With my practice,
I have gained a lot of evidence, which proves that my work relates to
transformation.
Throughout my development process, the transformation of the
everyday seems to be the main key to my practice. I have shown my understanding
of the materials throughout the experiments. I gained an understanding of when
I have a tactile experience with the materials. With my development of materials,
I wanted to carry on with the new way of stitch. Many people think that
textiles is all about traditional stitches, however within my practice I wanted to show
that textiles can be brought to a massive scale and that stitch does not have to involve fabric and needles.
My development of my sculpture shows that the use of
stitches can be developed on a larger scale. With my development of the sculpture,
I had to make many decisions in how the sculpture would be created. I came
across many different problems, such as what material was stable, how to attach
my unthreaded ribbon and how to reconstruct the ribbon within the space.
With my experiments I had to test how my sculpture would fit
in the space, I came across many problems with this because with being at the
front doors there was a constant breeze, which effected the way the ribbon
would move. Yet, I investigated into how I could prevent the ribbon from being
destroyed. I developed my use of stretch and manipulation on the sculpture.
For my development part, researching has helped me gain a
greater understanding of the reasons why I developed my work in the ways that I
do. Each part of my work has a different
aspect to how I create my ideas of construction and deconstruction. I found within
this project myself as an artist because my work has a meaning of
transformation.
Being part of the textiles in process exhibition has also
developed me as an artist because I gained an experience of creating work for a
real exhibition space. This has taught me how to balance time and money
throughout my project. I know that development takes time because as an artist
I need to know that I have experienced all the different processes before I
make a decision into how I am going to construct my sculpture.
Development creates problems and as an artist, you have to
overcome them. The problems I kept facing were how to create a minimalistic
shape. I created mini models to test what shapes would match. The problem that
occurred was getting the sculptures made from wood as the material is easy to manipulate
but with the structures, I wanted to create a difficult because of the angles
and lengths of wood I would need. Also with testing, I wanted the wood to be
quite thin so that it did not take the light from the unthreaded ribbon. As the
ribbon is quite delicate and light, I did not want a massive wooden structure
to attract from this. With regarding my problems with the structure, I explored
creating the structure from metal. However, with the metal, it was not fundable
and I did not have the time to have them made. This will teach me to keep a closer
look on how I need to balance my time.
After all this, I found that the development part of this
unit is important because it makes you have an understanding in how you work as
an artist. I developed myself into knowing that my practice is all about
transformation of everyday materials.
No comments:
Post a Comment