Saturday, 6 February 2016

EVAULATION


Within this project, I have found out more about myself and the context of my work. I have always enjoyed manipulating materials and colours. Therefore, throughout this unit I have been able to push myself more and be more adventurous. There has been no judgment with this project therefore I have been able to manipulate materials to another level. Taking all the mundane materials and discovering that they can change to beautiful art is fascinating.

Manipulation is key within my work from transforming, constructing and deconstructing. My artwork is all about transforming mundane materials into something magical so that you will not be able to recognise them. Experimenting and testing impacts my work because I have to understand what materials composition is at the beginning. For example the ribbon; everyone just see it as a plain simple line but on the other hand, I have deconstructed the ribbon to create more lines within the line and manipulated it to create an embroidery style.

I discovered with this unit a style that suits me which is that I take a traditional embroidery technique and transform it to a contemporary style. For example instead of using thread to couch on fabric, I have been using cling film as my fabric and neon tape as my thread. Transforming old ways is something I am interested in because some of the traditional work is very small and integrate. I want to take risks and push boundaries this to create much larger scale work.

Traditional work is using traditional colours. During my investigations and experiments, I found that I worked best and benefited more by using the florescent colours. I have tried and tested most colours and found that I can find the link between them, which leads to them clashing. However, my work is all about playfulness and colourfulness and I benefited from using the florescent colours. Florescent colours need a balance between them because sometimes they can clash each other out and look horrible. Therefore, by doing experiments I did discover what works the best.

I have also discovered for my work that I need to create a space to manipulate to resemble an embroidering space. The concept of embroidering a space fascinates me because I wanted to push this aspect to see how I could transform a space using embroidering techniques in a contemporary style.

Analysing my work I have decided that I work better using simple lines. This is because with lines you can change and manipulate them in many different ways. I need this minimal impression towards my work because of the florescent colours I use. So by simplifying the lines and techniques I can create something on a large scale that makes and impact.

For my future work I want to carry on with using large spaces and this style of embroidering a space. My work is all about transforming and I would like to take this to the next level with the florescent colours and mundane materials. This will be a transformation towards my textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment