Saturday, 21 May 2016

Evaulation of Unit X


Evaluation- Rachel Elizabeth Curle

Over this recent project I have investigated into pushing the transformation of everyday materials. So in my work I have been constructing and deconstructing materials, which I wanted to carry forward into my projects. These transformations apply in all my art work very well because I enjoy experimenting with everyday materials. Reforming their look and design, I wanted to almost give the materials a new sense of identity.

The inspiration for my work comes from the ideas of altering and transform of the materials I source. I choose to work with the fluorescent colours because of the statement they bring. The colours are what attract the audience first. My work is about creating this large statement with these fluorescent colours however keeping it minimalistic. I choose to keep my work minimalistic because the colours speak for themselves. I found this when I investigated into the materials. Some of the materials are simple mundane materials such as washing lines, fabric, string and wood. Then you have more exciting materials such as elastic and ribbon. With the ribbon I have been experimenting and developing over the recent project because I wanted to investigate how I could create something simple using a deconstructing method.

Constructing and deconstructing are what create the forms throughout my textiles practice. I imitate the textiles I have learnt from a traditional sense to a more contemporary background. I want to create art that shows that textiles can be transformed on a massive scale. Also that textiles isn’t just about old traditional stitches with fabric but that these stitches can be adapted and transformed.

My inspiration comes from everything around me such as scaffolding, building yards, hair, waterfalls and nature. Throughout all of these environments, I look for the repeat patterns and use of lines. I observe and then adapt the formation of line into my samples and final installations. I enjoy transforming all materials to create new lines. I have also looked in more depth into artists that create work using unique materials and the use of repetition.    

Within this project I have been looking more into the contexts and the reasons why I made the choices I did! For the sculpture I created using ribbon, the decision to paint the wood grey was because I wanted it to match the school of arts architecture.

This part of the project has helped me to improve my understanding of how to learn to present my work to others. This all helps in relation to the understanding of my own work. This unit has given me a diverse approach to viewing my art work. I made decisions and created experiments in promoting how I could convert these materials. Construction and deconstruction are the main processes from this unit. I have gained a varied, broader understanding of how I work as a textile artist. Taking part in the textiles in progress exhibition chose to be a challenge. However, I had a chance to show my work off and working to a much larger scale, which I was very proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment