Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Inspiration


Inspiration

Throughout my practice inspirations of the everyday, nature and my surroundings influence my work.    

Within this project I have took inspiration from many different aspects of everyday things. What I look more at is how in everyday objects there are lines in which create patterns. The one shape that stood out to me the most was how scaffolding creates a structure shape. I never took much notice in how building materials could be used as an influence.

Inspiration can come from anywhere, although as an artist I find I like the use of lines. Repetition is used a lot within my work because I have took influence from nature including waterfalls. I chose to look at waterfalls because of the pattern, my unthreading of ribbon was creating. The deconstruction of the ribbon was creating a texture, which was almost like hair. Other peers within my class thought that the ribbon was hair extensions. With this influence, I started to research into how different hair was manipulated into hairstyles.

With my inspiration and practice, I noticed links between all my research and development. The link of this was transformation of materials. Materials are still an essential focus in my practice because these are what inspire me to create the manipulations. The materials are from everyday life use and I transform them into magic sculptures.

A lot of my inspiration for this project has come from the use of materials. The ribbon brings joy to my sculpture because of the use of fluorescent colours and the transformation of the ribbon. The ribbon has this new identity after I have deconstructed it. This is what inspires me to develop new ways of manipulations. Having a tactile feel towards my work provides me with new ideas of how I can process and manipulate my samples.

For this project, the colours have inspired me the most, as I have kept sourcing these colours through the materials I have manipulated. With this influence of colours and manipulation, I started to discover other artists, which use this manner of materials. Robert Morris is an artist that influenced me in the sense of inspiration as his work can really relate to mine because of his use of simple shapes and the minimalistic look.

In this project, I have discovered that I create these crazy transformations of materials but still keep the minimalistic side to them. Discovering that I can still create all these magical transformations and finding new inspiration within my practice, has given me new hope that I can finally define myself as a textiles artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment